Friday, October 1, 2010

Hyde Park Jazz Festival

Last Saturday night James and I went to a jazz festival in Hyde Park. Hyde Park is on the South side of Chicago, and it’s also where U-Chicago’s campus is located. We met up with our friend, Travis, and checked out a few of the jazz venues on the University of Chicago’s campus. It’s been over three years since I was last on U-Chicago’s campus, and it has some spectacular buildings. The Rockefeller Chapel, for instance, is a magnificent neo-Gothic wonder. It was built around the same time period as Princeton University’s chapel (late 1800-early 1900’s), and I think I can safely say that neo-Gothic architecture just might be my favorite style. Ever. The detail in the interior ceiling structure is always incredible, the arches and domes provide such great interest, and magnificent scale (for a chapel or cathedral) truly lifts your mind and spirit heavenward. We listened to a jazz choir in the chapel for awhile, and I couldn’t keep my eyes from roaming over all the architectural details. J’aime les cathédrals!



We also listened to a jazz quartet in the Quadrangle Club, which is the faculty club on U-Chicago’s campus. I think it’s normally only open to members, but they opened it to the public for this jazz festeval. We sipped on wine and enjoyed the fruit, cheese, and crackers platters while relaxing in creamy leather club chairs. Not a bad way to end the evening.




U-Chicago's campus also has a Frank Lloyd Wright house located on its grounds - how cool is that? There was a jazz concert in the Robie House, but we got there too late to go. Bummer! I think I'll still try to take a tour of this house sometime in the near future. I've never actually been in a Frank Lloyd Wright house....something new to look forward to.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Nicole, I'm the Dean of Rockefeller Chapel and I'm so tickled about your comments about this beautiful building! Glad you enjoyed the jazz too!

Elizabeth