Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Theologiggle...

Considering that this is our last week of class and next week is reading week and then finals, I'd say James and I have had some pretty fun times in the last few days. First of all, we had a dinner party at our house on Sunday with Professor Ellen Charry. We had her in class last semester and our whole class had a big party at her house at the end of the semester (she has a beautiful house!), so we decided to have her over to our place this time. We also had a few other friends over from our Sunday night dinner group, all of whom had also had her in one class or another. It was a great evening...plenty of wine to go around, interesting conversations, and lots of laughing.

And yesterday was the annual event "Theologiggle." It's basically a live SNL session based on sketches and skits relating to PTS...I was a little skeptical about going because I didn't know how funny it would be or if I would just end up leaving offended. But I have to say...almost every single sketch was hilarious! And the auditorium was packed out, so it made for a good audience. Just to get a flavor of the evening, here are a few names of the skits: America's Next Top Seminarian, Dating Jesus, Theological Barber Agency, and 7 Minutes *N Heaven. One of the great things about the evening was that it seemed to be an "equal opportunity" offender...the jokes weren't targeted at one theological perspective, and I think everyone could appreciate and understand the humor. Here is a link to the YouTube Video of 7 Minutes *N Heaven: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hJcb53_d74
It features one of SPU's own, Matt Bollinger. I didn't actually think this was the funniest sketch, but it's the only one on YouTube right now. Anyhow, I am already looking forward to next year's Theologiggle...I think I'd actually like to be a part of it next year. There are only so many opportunities to contribute to such a life-time opportunity of humor.

No comments: