Thursday, August 28, 2008

Hiking Fever

After nearly a year of living in a geographic location in which I have yet to see a mountain (or even a foothill, for that matter) I have decided that I need to hit a mountain at least once every time I go home. I didn't realize how much the mountains meant to me until I left them behind. They are somewhat like a security blanket for me - a guide to the north and the south, an ever looming consolation of beauty in the world at times when I feel ugliness in the world, an image of the grandiose character of God...my psyche actually craves the mountains.

Which is why I dragged my family to a hike on Mount Baker, even though it was pouring rain and the park ranger encouraged us to change plans to a lower elevation hike due to the looming thunderstorms. We took the rangers advice, and the hike was still gorgeous. And after a long, hot, humid summer - I welcomed the refreshing and cool drizzle on my face. It was completely enlivening...not sure my family felt the same way, but I suspect they did. The nuanced textures and shades of green was astounding.

There goes the ma, pa, and sister.






For anybody that knows Curtis, here lies his favorite stance: "the Discovery Pose." I think it indicates the surveying of all things his....and perhaps makes him feel like Lewis or Clark?


Soggy wet and happy!


I LOVE these next two pics of my padres...my mom is laughing so hard in the first one that she can't hold herself up, and in the second pic she's trying to shush Curtis to stop making her laugh. Not an uncommon problem for her.







1 comment:

em said...

yay for hiking :) i LOVE those pictures of your parents too :D