Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Woodrow Wilson School



The Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs is Princeton’s government and international relations department, and it is one of the best in the nation. I had my first class there this past Tuesday – African Development and Policy. Within the first 30 minutes of this 3 hour long seminar I could tell I was going to LOVE this course. We will be studying several facets of development and policy work in Africa – some of it’s history, the progression of economic development theories in Africa, the pros and cons of various governmental and NGO programs that have been enacted in Africa, geographical challenges in this continent, varying governmental situations in Africa, and more. Each week the seminar will address and attack a particular challenge, and then analyze alternative diagnoses and responses.

As much as I am excited I am also somewhat nervous. Most students in the class are in the second year of the M.P.A. or M.P.P. programs (Master’s in Public Affairs and Master’s in Public Policy), which means they have already taken an economics sequence and various other courses in policy and development. Most of the other students either grew up in a foreign country, or have done a fair amount of volunteer and development work in Africa. The professor has spent years working and researching in/on/about Africa. What this all amounts to is that I will be a very humble learner for the semester, soaking in the experiences and knowledge of my professor and my peers. And I am completely grateful for this opportunity – I feel as though this course has breathed new energy and excitement into my learning. My other courses at the seminary are all wonderful, but this course is entirely different and engages my interest in international development in a professional environment that I’ve never experienced before. I am eagerly praying for God’s wisdom and guidance as I learn from the reading material, the people, and the discussions in this course. Perhaps God will use this opportunity to guide my future vocational trajectory.

2 comments:

em said...

wow...sounds amazing!! be sure to pass along the interesting information!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad for this opportunity for you. I would be totally lost!!