Sunday, August 2, 2009

Diagon’s Alley (or at least it felt like it)


This last Saturday James and I visited Jimbocho, which is the bookstore district in Tokyo. There are dozens of used bookstores and several publishing houses crammed into a few city blocks. After working on some church prep Saturday morning, James was about to crack open the ol’ LSAT book and hunker down for an afternoon of studying. This did not sound fun to me—I wanted to use our day off to go explore more of the unchartered Tokyo territory. Now, to my credit I have been quite supportive of James studying this summer. He is working very hard to prepare for applications this fall, and I am proud of him. But I, on the other hand, do not need to study (PTL!) and love spending time in this crazy and energetic city. And this Saturday I wanted my husband to come with me. So what’s an easy way to lure him away from studying for an afternoon of exploring with me – the used bookstore district! Brilliant, right!?! I casually mentioned how much I’d been wanting to go find some used bookstores, and he immediately pounced. He knew exactly where the used bookstore district was – we didn’t even need to consult a subway map. So that settled it – an afternoon outing we could both enjoy. James found unique books and old editions, and I went on a focused search to find some cool Japanese art books. Mission accomplished.

I have never been to such a centrally focused bookstore district. Shop after shop....

Bookshleves inside, bookshelves outside...
(I wouldn't be surprised it this is what we have to do someday - put our overflow books into shelving outside)

I love the aesthetic of row upon row of old and beloved books.

This particular store had an incredible selection of English literature and history. It warmed my little Anglophile heart. Check out these books here: "Gentleman Charles: A History of Foxhunting" and "Royal Heritage: The Story of Britain's Royal Builders and Collectors." What a stately set of books to add to our shelves at home - too bad they were Y5000.00 each.

Here's James, scoping out some dead Greek guys.


1 comment:

em said...

looks divine! thanks for sharing :)