Monday, January 19, 2009

The Logic of SNOW























It is snowing right now in Princeton - big, thick, frothy flakes of winter magic. Snow always puts me in a delighted mood, and it occurred to me that snow is winter's bouquet of floral felicity.

I am in the middle of a 3-week intensive J-term course, and I have been having a hard time buckling down to tackle my 15-page paper due in a week. But in sitting here and pondering the glory of this snow, I realized that this winter wonder should actually help me in me need to study. Because what else does one want to do when it's snowing and terribly cold outside but to curl up with a hot cup of tea. And once you are curled up with a hot cup of tea, then one inevitably wants to read a book. And if one starts to read a book, then one is learning. So the logic goes as such:

1. If A (snow), then B (tea).
2. If B (tea), then C (book).
3. If C (book), then D (learning) (or in my case writing a paper)
4. A
5. Therefore D.

And voila - a classic formulation of logical syllogism.
So here's to snow, tea, books, and learning!

2 comments:

em said...

the title of your post, alone, made me smile. then i realized what a nerd you are, in the most endearing sense of the word. you warm my heart.
p.s. i was ROCKING out to ABBA today at work...thinking of you almost every second of it...although i have a long history with ABBA, this new years will be forever burned into my memory-LOVE YOU so!!

Laura said...

I wholeheartedly agree with your conclusion Nicole!