Tuesday, May 13, 2008

An Essay On BBQ's

Here I am again, distracting myself from the work that I should be doing to finish up this long-lasting semester. In this case I've actually been working long and hard on a paper today and am taking a well-deserved break to reflect on spring-time BBQ's. Earlier this evening James and I were taking a dinner break and decided to walk to Whole Foods for some tomato bisque soup and a crusty rustic role (one of our favorite "splurges" from the normalcy of groceries at home) and on our walk there we passed five different BBQ's. And I was slightly jealous for a variety of reasons: A) The burgers, steaks, chicken and all things meaty smelled amazing and my tomato bisque didn't sound as good anymore; and B) all these people were already done with their finals and have evenings of relative freedom to enjoy for things such as leisurely BBQ's in the perfect 70 degree weather (The paper James and I are working on is for the University which is on a later schedule than the seminary); and C) the BBQ's were all fellow students and families that we know, and I was feeling desperately social.

So I've decided that I'm going to have a big bash of a BBQ the night we finish our papers, because a good BBQ is, in my view, the pinnacle experience of spring and summer time. It satisfies all the desires that have been building over the winter months: time spent relaxing outside in the fresh air without seeing the warmth of your breath against the coldness in the air; the casual attire of flip-flops, shorts, and tanks; the gastronomic pleasures of grilled and smoky meat with chips and salsa aplenty; and the joy and pleasure of friends and family gathered in the ultimate of relaxing environments.

Actually, I just realized that we are going to a BBQ on Friday night for a friend's graduation party from Seminary. So I shall cling to the goodness that is coming Friday as I abstain from the BBQ's tonight and the one we are invited to tomorrow night all in the pursuit of knowledge...or something like that. Let's just say that I am ferociously ready for a burger or a dog...

2 comments:

em said...

i think we should BBQ when we get there too!! oh man...my mouth is watering just thinking about delicious burgers (and hotdogs-hehe), chips, pop and the like-YUM

Nicole & James said...

Oh man, absolutely! Can't even wait...