Friday, May 30, 2008

The Princeton P-rade


The class of 1954 (above) in the tradtional orange blazer.


One of my favorite things about working downtown Princeton is that I get to experience all the festivals and traditions and events that usually happen right outside the Princeton Running Company. The Princeton Alumni weekend, including the P-rade, is one of them. This weekend thousands of Princeton Alumni will pack into the few hotels in the area and proudly sport their Princeton garb from whatever "era" they attended school. They will also sport their class buttons indicating what year they graduated.
Today at work I saw dozens of 1958 buttons, because it is their 50th anniversary this year. Fifty year - crazy! My favorite couple that I saw today were named Fitz and Dottie, both from the class of 1958 with the most pleasant southern accents. Fitz had one of those great straw hats - the kind all the men wear in Pollyanna with the flat top - but his hat of course had the orange and black striped band around the base. And Dottie had sewn a shirt for Fitz and a matching skirt for herself of a bright orange tiger print material. I am telling you - these people have no qualms with bright orange and black. They are proud to be a Princeton Tiger.
Tomorrow afternoon all these alumni will band together with their class and march behind the class year banner in an event that has been happening for over 100 years - the "P-rade." The Princeton Band will play, and members of the 25th and 50th reunion classes will most likely sport themed costumes...possibly Roman legionnaires or Uncle Sam look-alikes or Dutch Boys. (I know this because of all the old-time Princetonians that I work with). So I am excited for tomorrow to catch glimpse of this grand ol' tradition...even if it means I will be fitting dozens of 60 or 70 somethings for running shoes!

No comments: