Wednesday, May 28, 2008

New York, New York


Can I just say that late spring in NYC is the best time to have guests come visit and traipse around the city without our fingers freezing off, and without our faces melting? The two days that we were up in NYC with Laura and Emily were such perfect weather - mid 70's with a slight breeze, and yet the early excitement of summer on the smiles of everyone in Central Park. The last time we hung out with guests around the city - Jay and Trish - was the middle of January and FREEZING! We had to dodge into a little sideshop every few minutes to warm our hands and escape the biting wind, and Trisha and I had our scarves wrapped around our heads like Amish peasants...we still had a lot of fun, but I decided that January is not the best time to be running around the city. And when we hung out in the city last September with friends from Wheaton, it was hot and muggy and humid and sticky, and sitting in the subway felt like you were being conjoined to the seats from the heat.
So anyone out there wanting to come visit us, we recommend early spring. (Although we realize that beggars can't be choosers!) Anyways, we stayed very busy running around and checking out the sites and sounds and smells of this "center of the universe" grand plaza. I guess I can see why New Yorkers think that NYC is the center of the universe...everything happens there and they have everything! We had a fabulous time, but I do have to say that by the end of the second day up there I had done so much walking in "non-walking shoes" (you have to look cute in the city, so who needs supportive sneakers?), that my muscles were so sore and my feet so blistered and dirty that Emi, Laura and I immediately soaked our feet in the bathtub for 20 minutes to clean them off and help ease the pain. I have to admit that I felt like an old woman, but boy oh boy did it feel fantastic!
I will be posting pictures of our grand adventures when our Internet isn't so fritzy and my eyes aren't so droopy...

No comments: