Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Marc Chagall

"Paris through the Window" 1913


I have to admit that I've never been terribly keen on modern art, but my attention was piqued earlier this year by the 20th century artist, Marc Chagall, in a class James and I had on the book of Ezekiel. Everyone in the class was required to give a presentation, and one of our peers chose to do his presentation on Chagall's portrayal of Ezekiel - and I was fascinated by it. This student made the point that not many contemporary artists interact with Biblical material - in the art world Biblical images and metaphors are often considered "cliche." But Chagall was a Russian-born Jew, who eventually settled in Paris and did much of his painting there. His life (and hence artwork) was thoroughly influenced by his Jewish heritage, and so he has dozens of etchings and paintings of Biblical images and themes.

Last weekend when James and I were in Lambertville, we stumbled upon an art gallery in which the showcased "theme" was Biblical images. I was delighted to find that many of their works were by Chagall, and my interest in his paintings was once again aroused. After seeing his work in this gallery I decided to do some research on Chagall. It seems that his work doesn't fit into any popular art category, although he was associated with the Paris School in the pre-WWI era and was probably influenced by Cubism and Fauvism. Many of Chagall's works were known for their bright color and surreal appearance, which is immediately evident in most of the paintings I've posted below.

I suppose it is this surreal, strange, or childish appearance in paintings that I often dislike, but for some reason I am very drawn to the "other-worldness" and whimsy of Chagall. In reading about him he seemed to be a man of great hope, despite many difficulties he faced as a Jewish man in the 20th century (he was forced to flee Europe to the US during WWII, and experienced extreme prejudice growing up in Russia). There is something about the surreal in his work that taps into the human Psyche and extorts one to ponder the emotion, the movement, the color in his work. What does it mean? What do I see? I often can't tell if one of his works makes me feel joyful or melancholy, and I rather like the mixed emotions of his pieces. Does it remind me of an imaginary world, or does it bring me to a real and tangible memory of the world in which I live?

There is a quote by Chagall that struck me as just right in light of his work: "Will God or someone give me the power to breathe my sigh into my canvasses, the sigh of prayer and sadness, the prayer of salvation, of rebirth?"

The art gallery we visited:
ll


"Ezekiel's Vision"

This painting is based on the vision of Ezekiel in Chapter 1 - a vision we spent a good deal of time studying in our class.



"White Crucifixion"
It's interesting to see a crucifixion portrayed by a Jewish artists - most crucifixion paintings have been done by Christian artists. Many people surmise that this crucified Christ is symbolic of the suffering of Jewish people throughout the Holocaust - the suffering Christ and the Jewish people have shared the same fate.


"David with his Harp" 1956


"The Tree of Jesse" 1960


"Moses and the Bible" 1956


"The Poet with the Birds"


"Fleurs sur fond Rouge"


"Violinist-Bleu"


"View of Paris"

8 comments:

Aupusher said...

There IS something about Chagall that is so eye catching. I find myself staring at a lot of his work for awhile, like I'm trying to figure it out. But the childish flair about it keeps any conclusion void.

I really like your 'Paris through the window' image. I'm going to see if I can find it on the market. If you have any interest in investing in Chagall, you should check out this amazing inventory:

http://www.masterworksfineart.com/inventory/chagall

I have invested in Chagall lithographs with a lot of success over the last few years. Thanks for the post!!

em said...

beautiful expose on Chagall, nicole! my favorite is David and Harp...so simple, so intimate, so humane-it makes me catch my breath and feel as though i've stepped into an intimate worship moment--splendid job, my friend!

Nicole & James said...

Thanks em - I like your description of David and the Harp - it's right on. That was one of my favorite that I got to see at the art gallery we went to.

Anonymous said...

therienstras.blogspot.com is very informative. The article is very professionally written. I enjoy reading therienstras.blogspot.com every day.
instant payday
bad credit loans

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a proper partner who uses your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://ydewexyd.dreamstation.com/atutyfe.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may commense earning with a sum that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'm ready to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theblogmoney.com

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may begin to get income with a money that usually goes
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'm ready to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Dismiss Laggin Downloads With NZB Downloads You Can Rapidly Search Movies, PC Games, MP3s, Applications and Download Them @ Alarming Speeds

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Newsgroup Search[/B][/URL]