Monday, June 16, 2008

My Super Husband



Here is our half-sanded dresser with a few of the drawers. Yes, it is in the little landing way next to the stairwell of our apartment. And yes, we were warned today that we have to get it out because it is a fire-hazard. So I guess we'll have to sand fast because we have nowhere else to put it!


I think it took James 40 minutes to sand this side of the dresser, and it took me around 2 hours to sand the other half...go figure.


I suppose that for thousands of families around the United States all happily married men suffer the same fate about this time of year - the "summer time projects" list. Yes, it's that time of the year when wives of young and old start humming that exciting tune of clean up, fix up, paint up, build up, plant up, pull up, and the melody could go on and on.
Lucky for James we live in a little apartment run by the Seminary, and for any major problems the Seminary housing and maintenance crew takes care of it. But the other day I did literally run into what we will be our first (among many to come, I am sure) summer project. As people have been moving in and out of CRW the last few weeks there has been plenty of furniture that people have just thrown next to the dumpster bins in the parking lots. As I was coming back from a run the other morning I passed a rather large piece of wooden furniture, and so I decided to stop and check it out. It was a wooden dresser - a really pretty shape and size and very solid and sturdy. The only problem were the massive scratches all over the top of the dresser. The drawers all still fit into the dresser straight, and given a little sanding and a fresh stain job I figured it would be as good as new in no time.

Well, I seem to have a knack for underestimating how long it takes to complete projects. And this case was no different - it is a very long and hard process to completely sand down an entire dresser - including the sealant, the stain, and the massive scratches - and I've had a few frustrated moments when I realized how long this project would actually take. I had warned James when I first brought this "treasure" home and he gave me a sly and unexcited look that he didn't have to help at all....no need for him to worry because this would be my little project.

Yeah, well, I changed my mind. I decided this would be a good team project - a husband and wife refinishing adventure. What could be more fun in these hot and sticky summer days than sweating to the tune of 120 grit sandpaper? Not much, let me tell you. Yet I have to say that James has jumped on board with me and has even surprised me when I've come home and there he is sanding on his own. I really do have the best husband in the world!

1 comment:

em said...

aw...so sweet-you guys are adorable!!! how fun-you're brining a decrepid dresser back to life :) good work friend...way to be green too :D